Review: Pushing the Limits

Title: Pushing the Limits

Author: Katie McGarry

Series: Pushing the Limits #1

Genre: Romance, Young Adult, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, New Adult, Chic Lit

Publisher: Harlequin Teen

Publication Date: July 31, 2012

Pages: 392 Pages

My Rating: 5 Stars (or more)

  No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

  Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.


 
  My thoughts for this book could actually be summed up in one word - PERFECTION.

  When I picked up this book to read, I was expecting another common novel, the cliched kind. What I wasn't expecting was that my heart would go in with the characters, feeling what they feel, experiencing what they experience, carrying their problems, completely being pulled into the story. For me, those are the best kinds of books. Those that could make me laugh as they laugh, cry as they cry, and even love as they love.  

  From the first page I read, up to the very last page, I was completely captivated, completely drawn into their world. It's the kind of heart-warming, yet at the same time heart-wrenching novel that you won't be able to put down, afraid you might miss something - It's the kind of novel that makes you feel like you have to readevery single word, and not feel like it's dragging. Characters, plot, pacing, choice of words, everything - perfect!

  I could easily say that this book is the best book I've read all year, possibly ever! Can you believe that I only read this in two sittings? (Because I have to sleep. Else it would have been one.) And I'm the kind of person who gets bored easily, and can't keep doing a single thing for a long time! Maybe the fact that I can somehow relate to the characters helped. But I think even if I couldn't, it still would be great! I think picking up this books is the best decision I've made this year! Katie McGarry captured perfectly what I want to read in one single book, and I must say that from now on, I would read anything she writes.

“Her shoulders never shook. No tears streamed down her face. The worst type of crying wasn't the kind everyone could see--the wailing on street corners, the tearing at clothes. No, the worst kind happened when your soul wept and no matter what you did, there was no way to comfort it. A section withered and became a scar on the part of your soul that survived. For people like me and Echo, our souls contained more scar tissue than life.” 

“If you’re scared, tell me. If you need to cry and scream, then do it. And you sure as hell don’t walk away from us because you think it would be better for me. Here’s the reality, Echo: I want to be by your side. If you want to go to the mall stark naked so you can show the world your scars, then let me hold your hand. If you want to see your mom, then tell me that too. I may not always understand, but damn, baby, I’ll try.”  

“I love you enough to never make you choose.” 

“We’d read about sirens in English this fall; Greek mythology bullshit about women so beautiful, their voices so enchanting, that men did anything for them. Turned out that mythology crap was real because every time I saw her, I lost my mind.”

“Because growing up means making tough choices, and doing the right thing doesn’t necessarily mean doing the thing that feels good.”  

“It doesn't get better," I said. "The pain. The wounds scab over and you don't always feel like a knife is slashing through you. But when you least expect it, the pain flashes to remind you you'll never be the same.” 





Labels: , , , , , , ,