Review: A Different Blue



Title: A Different Blue
Author: Amy Harmon
Series: N/A, Standalone
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Publication Date: May 29th, 2013
My Rating: 5 Stars

  Blue Echohawk doesn't know who she is. She doesn't know her real name or when she was born. Abandoned at two and raised by a drifter, she didn't attend school until she was ten years old. At nineteen, when most kids her age are attending college or moving on with life, she is just a senior in high school. With no mother, no father, no faith, and no future, Blue Echohawk is a difficult student, to say the least. Tough, hard and overtly sexy, she is the complete opposite of the young British teacher who decides he is up for the challenge, and takes the troublemaker under his wing.

  This is the story of a nobody who becomes somebody. It is the story of an unlikely friendship, where hope fosters healing and redemption becomes love. But falling in love can be hard when you don't know who you are. Falling in love with someone who knows exactly who they are and exactly why they can't love you back might be impossible.

     I have no idea how to write a review for this one because there are no words to justify the beauty of it.

  To be honest I was wary of reading this at first because I read and loved Making Faces, and I was worried that this one would not be as amazing as that one was. But boy was I wrong - and I was glad - because this book is just a good, maybe even better than Making Faces. And even though it has over 400 pages, I was still left wanting for more.

  Amy Harmon's writing style was just so uniquely beautiful that I couldn't help but love this book. She writes in a way that she was not shoving Blue's struggle or strength to the readers' faces, making it too obvious of every struggle she's been through. It wasn't like that at all - it was very natural and it seemed realistic that way. It was the same with the lessons - it wasn't written and shoved to the readers; instead, it was just learned by reading on. Also, Will wasn't consciously being cruel jerk in a fucked up way like most books these days are, and I just loved that!

  My favorite thing about this book though is how Blue was never once whiny throughout the whole book, even though she had every right to complain. She was strong in that she was able to go through all the struggles that life has given her, and she knew how to own up to the consequences of her actions without blaming anything on life.

  I think this is the only contemporary book not centered on romance that I loved, because it was centered on life instead. I mean, the romance was always part of it, but that wasn't the highlight.

  FOR THOSE WHO'VE READ THIS, you'll understand: I loved how the ending was not left up to fate or anything cliche and unrealistic as that; instead, it had a reason behind how things turned out to be, and the execution was just perfect.

  This book is just perfectly amazing, and I don't understand why this isn't more popular, why it isn't the talk of everyone. Amy Harmon is up there, along with Colleen Hoover and Katie McGarry, and she deserves more buzz. Even though it's only January, I am already certain that this book will be my favorite, or at least among my favorites, of the year. I recommend everyone to read it, because it is just perfect, and I love it to bits and pieces.

“But there's no way to avoid regret. Don't let anybody tell you different. Regret is just life's aftertaste. No matter what you choose, you're gonna wonder if you shoulda done things different. I didn't necessarily choose wrong. I just chose. And I lived with my choice, aftertaste and all.”
“Why don’t you focus on where you’re going and less on where you came from?”
“I was scarred but I was not broken. Beneath my wounds I was still whole. Beneath my insecurities, beneath my pain, beneath my struggle, beneath it all, I was still whole.” 

Labels: , , , ,