Review: Spring 2016 Penguin Teen Sampler




Title: Spring 2016 Penguin Teen Sampler

A few pages of each of the following books:
    • Salt to Sea by Ruta Sepetys (historical fiction)
    • The Dark Days Club by Allison Goodman (fantasy)
    • Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton (fantasy)
    • The Passion of Dolssa by Julie Berry (historical fiction)
    • Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke (contemporary romance)





Thank you Netgalley and Penguin Teen for granting me access to this sampler.

SALT TO THE SEA by RUTA SEPETYS
Gosh, I can't believe I've never payed attention to Sepetys' books before because I thought I was the kind of person who hated reading world war books. Well, turns out I just needed the right book to convince me, and based on what I have read so far, this might be it! Gah, I can't wait to buy her books and have a marathon! This was definitely a hit!

THE DARK DAYS CLUB by ALLISON GOODMAN
This was a 'meh' book for me. I don't have much to comment on, other than it didn't really leave an impression on me. The book may have become better, but based on the few pages that I read, this one's not for me. This one's a miss.

REBEL OF THE SANDS by ALWYN HAMILTON
When I started reading this book, I thought that I wouldn't like it. I was imagining the setting, and there just wasn't that click that I was looking for. Even when I was reading, I didn't feel particularly interested in reading the whole book. BUT! But then it was cut-off at just the right point, and now I'm interested in it and now I want to read the entire thing! This one's a hit!

THE PASSION OF DOLSSA by JULIE BERRY
Okay, so I tend to avoid books surrounding religion, so this one is not for me. When religion is in the background, that's fine. But in here, I think the main topic is religion, so I'm staying away from this one. This one's a miss.

WINK POPPY MIDNIGHT by APRIL GENEVIEVE TUCHOLKE
I love books where the characters are neighbors, but I just didn't get what I read so far from this one. I'm not sure if there is just one narrator or if there are two. Maybe I was just not fully concentrating, but I was really confused as to what was happening. This one's a miss too.

3 stars


Labels: , , , , , ,