Review: A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas {5.0}




Title: A Court of Wings and Ruin

Author: Sarah J. Maas
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children Books
Publication Date:  May 2nd, 2017
Pages: 699 pages
My Rating: 5 Stars
Looming war threatens all Feyre holds dear in the third volume of the #1 New York Times bestselling A Court of Thorns and Roses series.

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's manoeuvrings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit – and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords – and hunt for allies in unexpected places. 

In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series from Sarah J. Maas, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all.


I've been delaying reading this for months now because I was writing my undergraduate thesis and I knew that this is the type of book that you don't put down. I was right. When I started reading this a few days ago, I was worried because I hadn't read a big book in a long time, and I was on a mini-reading slump, but after reading this book, I am finally free of that reading slump!

This book is as intense, exciting, mind-blowing and emotion-capturing as I expected it to be, and I have no complaints whatsoever, only praises! The story arc is as complicated and simple as I hoped it would be - meaning complicated enough that it would capture my attention and keep me from putting the book down, and simple enough that it's not hard to keep up with. 

There's so many things in this book that can be discussed, but I'll try to keep this short. First, this book made me realize how much I feel sorry for Tamlin, but I'm glad that things were clear regarding his character towards the end of the book. He was portrayed at first as someone who is very kind, then cruel, and then eventually towards the end you just kind of see him as a whole person, and not just his parts, and for that I really liked this book.

Second, I really loved the roles the rest of Feyre's family played in this novel, with Nesta, Elain and even their father. I love how their characters not exactly transformed, but grew to encompass so much more. I love how they helped each other and how their characters were still true to who they were in book one.

Third, as always, I loved the sense of family in Rhy's court, and how they embraced the new additions to their family. Rhys and Feyre were both hard-headed as always, but every one of them were loyal to the core. Eventually, the new additions also adapted this attitude that solidified them as a whole. 

Fourth, I loved all the interactions between the High Lords of the courts, from fighting each other, scheming, to eventually working with each other despite their differences. I loved the politics behind which courts would most likely help, and the histories between all the families.

Fifth, I loved the last war scene, which went on for a while. I was literally crying and screaming, which I didn't really expect would happen. There were so many things that happened and my heart felt happy, sad, heavy, triumphant all in a span of a few minutes, and I wonder how I survived. 

Finally, I loved how everything wrapped up together into a perfect 600-page novel that I would never tire recommending to all bookworms out there. This series came to a close in a nice manner, and I'm glad that book 4 is a spin-off rather than a continuation.



mind-blowing stars



Labels: , , , ,