ARC Review: Messenger of Fear



Title: Messenger of Fear
Author: Michael Grant
Series: Messenger of Fear #1
Genre: Young Adult, Mystery, Contemporary
Publication Date: September 23rd, 2014
My Rating: 3.5 Stars


  I remembered my name – Mara. But, standing in that ghostly place, faced with the solemn young man in the black coat with silver skulls for buttons, I could recall nothing else about myself.

  And then the games began.

  The Messenger sees the darkness in young hearts, and the damage it inflicts upon the world. If they go unpunished, he offers the wicked a game. Win, and they can go free. Lose, and they will live out their greatest fear.

  But what does any of this have to do with Mara? She is about to find out . .

  Mara woke up in a dark place without any memory of who she is or what she was doing in that particular place. Then she meets Messenger, a cold person who won't tell her who she is. And then she finds out that she has to become is apprentice. Mara has to learn how to determine the darkness in a person's heart, and carry out the punishment to serve justice. The sinners play a game - Win, and they can go free. Lose, and they will live out their greatest fear. 

  Messenger of Fear was an interesting book, but just not interesting enough. I have mixed feelings about this book because I really wanted to know the mystery behind everything, but I didn't want to read the details, I just wanted to skip everything and read the last chapter! 

  The book was kind of boring in a sense that not much was happening in the whole book. The ending was predictable, and no mysteries behind the Messenger was revealed. I was very disappointed because the book seemed to not have substance in it. When I finished, I felt like 

  I'm not sure if I want to read the next book. While I am really, really curious about Messenger, I feel like the second book would just be some kind of a repeat of this one, and I don't want to waste my time because when I finished this book, I felt like the story could just be condensed in a few pages.

  I wish that more details were given and that more things were revealed because while keeping things might keep the readers interested, revealing nothing would make the readers impatient and just want to read the last few pages of the book instead.

Labels: , , , ,