Review: To All the Boys I've Loved Before


Title: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Author: Jenny Han
Series: TATBILB #1
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Publication Date:  April 15th 2014
Pages: 288
My Rating: 5 Stars
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

  Reading the synopsis of the book, one may think that To All the Boys I've Loved Before is a shallow about a teenager and her crushed. But let me tell you something - you cannot be more wrong. This book seems fluffy and all about romance, but when you read it, you'll know that it's also about family, friendship, forgiveness, and doing things for others without expecting anything else in return. This is my second time reading the book, but I still love it all the same.

  Lara Jean is an amazing main character. She is easily relatable and she seems very realistic to me. She can be innocent and naive at times, but also wise beyond her years at other times. I really loved how Jenny Han wrote this. The pacing is great, the romance is slow-burn and there were lots of amazing quotable quotes as well.

  One of my favorite things about this book is the family element. All of them are really close, as opposed to the usual broken families shown in most young adult novels these days. The dad didn't turn to alcohol when the mom died, and Margot, as the elder sister, really stepped up in taking care of the household. The Song sisters were also great in making things as easy as possible for their dad, and I loved them for that.

  Another favorite of mine is the slow-burn romance. Fake relationships are a guilty pleasure of mine, and this one nailed it! The feels were present, and I just loved it! I was on team Josh at first, but once that other side of Peter was shown, I transferred to team Peter K. all the way! The cliffhanger in the end made me scream so hard the first time I read this, but now I didn't because I already have the second book!

  This book succeeded in being a light read that still teaches us about the realities of life; it's fluffy, but at the same time not a shallow read. This definitely is a must-read, especially for teens. I just wish that there are more books out there like this one. 


I-freaking-loved-it stars


Labels: , , , ,