Eight Books I Thought I'd Like MORE/LESS Than I Did

1:00 AM


I thought I'd like these books MORE:


 1. The Mortal Instruments:

    With all those positive reviews and hype, I thought I'd like it more than I did, but I was so disappointed! When I was reading it, I felt like it was somehow similar to Harry Potter.. (forgot why HAHA) But then, I read this at the time when I was SO tired of all those supernatural stuff that I didn't want to read another one, so maybe I was biased. Might read this again soon :P

 2. Delirium:

    Again, with all the hype and positive reviews, I really believed that this would be a good book. I was intrigued by the synopsis. I even defended it when my friend said that it was really boring! Then I started reading, and couldn't even get past the first ten chapters! I hate that I didn't like this book, because so many are talking about it, and I couldn't join in :(


3. Matched:

   Don't get me wrong, I really liked and enjoyed reading Matched. I just thought I'd like it more because I was so psyched about it when I read the synopsis. It was kinda boring somewhere between the start and the middle, but Ky made up for it, so I still like it okay. :D Review

4. Mockingjay:

   I LOVED The Hunger Games so much that I read it so fast. I liked Catching Fire very much too, but when it came to Mockingjay, I was really really really disappointed - so disappointed that I couldn't even finish reading it. It was just plain horrible and boring! I told myself to stop, and to just read it again before the movie comes out.(If there is)

I thought I'd like these books LESS:

 

 1. Harry Potter series:

    Back when I was just 5 y/o, my mom bought a CD of the HP movie. I watched it with my brother and we were really scared of it. We didn't fully understand what was happenning, Hogwarts is a dark place, and Myrtle the ghost was screaming. When I grew up, everyone has read HP, so I gave it a shot. Turns out, I liked it VERY much! :D


 2. Lola and the Boy Next Door:

    I browsed the first few pages of this book a long time ago, and didn't really like it. I picked it up a few days ago cause I had nothing to do, and started reading. Turns out, it would be one of my favorite books, ever! I even liked it more than Anna and the French Kiss! Review

 3. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight:

    I'm a person who doesn't believe in love at first sight, so you should understand how I thought I wouldn't like this one at all. It was set in only 24 hours, and I couldn't imagine how that is possible! But then I was bored, and it was available, so I picked it up. Turns out, it's a very cute read! Bonus: English accent. :D It still didn't change my views, but I liked it. :) Review

 4. Pushing the Limits:

    I wasn't expecting this book to blow my mind, or be my favorite book. Of course, I was already expecting this book to be good, because of all the positive reviews, but I wasn't expecting it to be that good. This would probably be my favorite book of all time. (Well, except for Dare You To, but they're in the same series!) Review


 5. Vampire Academy:

    I bought this book because I saw nothing else good in the book store, and I didn't have any more books to read. The back synopsis was kinda interesting, but I was frustrated with all those new terms - Strigoi, Moroi and Dhampir. But then, we were in China, and this was the only book I brought with me, so I read it. It's a good thing, too, because I turned out to be obsessed with this book, and began shamelessly promoting! (When I read this, it wasn't that popular yet) Review

Check this out! :)

You Might Also Like

31 thoughts

  1. I felt the same way about Vampire Academy, but I had heard a ton about it and simply thought there was no way it could live up to the hype...I was proved wonderfully wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you about The Mortal Instruments. Everyone loves those books, but I just found them super similar to Harry Potter. I loved Statistical, too, even though I was expecting so little from it!!! Great picks!! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! No one got how TMI could be similar to HP, and they were all calling me weird. I'm so glad you though the same! You;re the first :P

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am debating whether or not to read The Mortal Instruments or not. I here mixed reviews. I totally agree with you on Lola and the Boy Next Door- it was adorable! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lola and the Boy Next Door is one I love more than I expected too! The titles are so simple that they don't do justice to the beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nkow right! I just wish more YA books are the same :P

      Delete
  6. I was really disappointed by Cassandra Clare and I still haven't gotten around to reading the sequel to Delirium. I loved all the books you were surprised by except The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vampire Academy is on my list, too - it's not a book I ever thought I would love, but I do. I actually loved Delirium, but I gave it to my friend, and she thought it was really boring too! She said she thought there was way too much description and not enough dialogue. Hmm. Nice list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your friend :)) That's what I thought too :P

      Delete
  8. Mockingjay made my list for the same reason it made yours. Sadly.

    TTT at Krista's Dust Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting about The Mortal Instruments. I love those books--- but have no read Harry Potter. I totally understand how similarities between books can make you hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uh oh. I just started reading City of Bones. Now I'm worried. Maybe it's a good think you didn't like Delirium, I liked the first book and ended up hating the last one, so there's that. And I can totally see how Matched was a miss. I thought the middle book was incredibly slow. Actually the whole series was slow.

    My Teaser and Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've waffled on reading "The Mortal Instruments" because of the divided reviews. On top of that I didn't like "The Hunger Games" at all so I never went into the other two books. HP rocked though!

    Tsuki's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! I've been excited to read Delirium for a while, but so many people seem to find it boring. I guess I just have to give it a try. I agree about Mockingjay, I finished it, but I kind of wish I hadn't.

    I've been trying to work up to reading Lola and the Boy Next Door. I liked Anna and the French Kiss, but I just don't get what's so special about it.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I borrowed Delirium from my friend even though she thought it was boring, because I wanted to prove her otherwise. But inthe end, I ended up hating it like she did :|

      Maybe it's Etienne, with the sexy name and accent :)))

      Delete
  13. I'm also in the minority for the TMI series, it wasn't as great as everyone was saying.
    New follower
    my TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/04/top-ten-tuesday-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree about VA; after reading Marked, I thought all vampire books were ruined for me, but I loved Vampire Academy. It kinda brought my faith back :D And the last two TMI books have been a pain for me... I just want to see how it ends now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was all geared up to like HP less as well. For me Marked was prb one of biggest disappointments

    ReplyDelete
  16. Agree with Matched. WHY is this book so popular? It's mediocre at best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really good list!! Matched seems to be a fail for a lot of people... I never planned on reading it, so I guess I'm safe :) That's crazy that you were 5 when the HP movies came out!! Youre so young!! I first read the books when I was 20 and was SO surprised that they weren't for kids! I mean they're for all ages! Amazing! I reall loved Pushing the Limits and Lola too... Statistical Prob. was a little too short for my liking. I wanted more, but I thought it was cute. Vampire Academy seems to be on a lot of positive lists... I may have to read those!

    Thanks for stopping by My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think at some point everyone thought they were for kids :)) My mom obviously thought so, and we got the CD :))) I'm not sure if I were 5, but I was around that age :P

      Delete
  18. So much agreement with this list. Hated Mortal Instruments, didn't really like Delirium and I still feel cheated by Mockingjay. I loved Harry Potter, it started my love of reading. VA, so so so agree. I really liked Pushing The Limits, though I didn't expect not to haha. Lola is one that a lot of people have been nagging me to read, and after seeing it make so many TTT lists, I think I'll have to finally listen lol.

    Fantastic list, and thanks for stopping by mine!

    -Kelly @ PaperFantasies

    ReplyDelete
  19. Matched was a big disappointment for me too. And Mockingjay very nearly ruined an otherwise excellent series. Still love the characters too so I forgive it. The SPOLAFS is on my wish list, I have to get to it soon, so much love for it in bookland!

    BookishTrish @ Between the Lines

    ReplyDelete
  20. Matched was so disappointing. Sad you didn't enjoy The Mortal Instruments though. I adore those books.


    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  21. I refused to read TMI because it was so over hyped and I'm not too big a fan of paranormal but I read The Infernal Devices and loved it so I'm considering giving the series a try. I've heard so many negative things about Mockingjay that I am avoiding reading it. I've seen Vampire Academy on so many love lists, I think I need to reconsider my stance on YA vampires and just give it a shot.
    Isa @ Chasing Quills

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't think about putting Harry Potter on my list! I didn't think I'd like it either - it was a "kids" book and I read it in college for the first time. I didn't love Mockingjay at first either, but it grew on me. Nice list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  23. I´ve read most of the book you listed and some of them are between my favorites, such as City of Bones or Delirium. But I agree with you about Matched. I was in love with the premise and then around the middle of the book it started to get really boring and slow. I liked it though, just not THAT much.

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT :)
    Kar @ Pause Time

    ReplyDelete
  24. Years ago, a few months before Richelle Mead announced that a spin-off called Bloodlines was gonna gome out, I read VA. My sister literally made me, and I've listened to her since then. Soooooo good.
    Give TMI a try, it's really good, even tho I'm not that much into Cassie's writing because I'm not a big fan of way too long descriptions. But the story is so well thought, it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I totally know what you mean about Delirium and Pushing the Limits. Delirium just didn't work a ton for me, although there was some really beautiful writing and interesting concepts in it. Dystopia generally isn't a genre I fall in love with. Pushing the Limits surprised me too!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT post and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thanks for taking your time to read through my post and comment on this blog. I appreciate each and every one of your comments, though I might not respond immediately to them. Also, if you're commenting on a meme, I would prefer replying on your meme post rather than here on my blog. :)

Total Pageviews

Like us on Facebook

Photobucket


Blog Anniversary

Subscribe